Monday, August 03, 2009

Vertaal in Afrikaans

On the Learn-Afrikaans yahoogroup, translation drills are posted on a regular basis. Here's my most recent attempt at one from Johan van Breda of Capetown:

Language is a skin: I rub my language against the other. It is as if I had words instead of fingers, or fingers at the tip of my words. My language trembles with desire. – Roland Barthes, literary critic and philosopher (1915 – 1980).

Taal is 'n vel: ek vryf my taal teen die ander. Dit is asof ek het woorde instede van vingers of vingers by die punt van my woorde. My taal bewe met sug. -- Roland Barthes, letterkundig kritikus en filosoof (1915-1980).

***

I just got corrections back from Johan:

Taal is 'n vel: ek vryf my taal teen ander. Dit is asof ek woorde in plaas van vingers het, of vingers aan die punte van my woorde. My taal bewe van begeerlikheid. – Roland Barthes, literĂªre kritikus en filosoof (1915 – 1980).

2 comments:

nikita said...

I do admire speakers of other languages learning my beautiful language!!

Joy-Mari Cloete said...

Sjoe, jy's goed, hoor!