Thursday, May 08, 2008

Baida Kebab

I've really been putting my new grill pan to good use. I recently bought the cookbook, Indian Barbecue from Cover to Cover, a great bookstore next door to Cook's Boulevard. Most of the recipes are meat-based, but the baida kebab (egg kebab) recipe caught my eye.

Recipe modified from Indian Barbecue by Roli Books:

6 eggs (5 hard boiled, 1 raw)
1 large potato, boiled and mashed
1 green chili
3 cloves of garlic
6 stalks of cilantro
1 tsp garam masala
bread crumbs from 1 slice of whole wheat bread
1 tsp salt
1 tsp red chili powder
1 tbsp minced ginger
butter for basting



I don't buy premade bread crumbs. It's so easy to make them on your own. Just lightly toast some bread and throw it into a spice/coffee grinder.



This is a pretty easy recipe. Once you have all the ingredients, just mix them all together (except for the basting butter) and form into sausage-like shapes for the skewers. To mix everything really well, I use my hands.



Preheat oven to 400 (with grill pan inside), baste kebabs with butter, place on grill pan, and cook for 20 min.



Check on and baste the kebabs once or twice more during that time. These kebabs are very delicate, so it isn't necessary (or advised) to turn them over. However, if you like grills marks on both sides, make sure to use a spatula to loosen the bottom before turning them over.



Baida kebab served with rice, dal, and yogurt.

1 comment:

xcentric said...

mmmm....looks good. I want a grill pan. must buy one and try this!