Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Sate Tahu

Better known as Tofu Satay, Sate Tahu is the Indonesian version of the well-known Thai vegetarian appetizer. The satay style of cooking is actually Indonesian in origin, specifically Java, but has become popular across Southeast Asia. I modified the following recipe according to what I had available (no daun salam or kaffir lime leaves, but I did have lemongrass) and a whim (added a few green cardomom pods, because I love 'em).



Frying spice paste smells soooooo good!


The marinade gets boiled way down before adding to tofu to the grill. Mix the leftover marinade with a tablespoon of peanut butter and a tsp of soy sauce for the sate sauce.


Grill marks courtesy of my new cast iron grill pan, purchased at Cook's Boulevard.

1 comment:

Emonix said...

Looks and sounds yummy! We have the same dish in Malaysia, with the same name except it is prepared differently. The tofu is cut into triangle pockets, fried, stuffed with jicama and cucumbers, and drizzled with satay sauce.

Emm... I'm jonesing for some right now. :)