Friday, August 03, 2007

Go Girl!

While I was down at Comic Con, I had a chance to hang out with other Girl-Wonder.org members for the first time. The raison d'être of the site is the loss of Stephanie Brown, Batman's first female Robin, and the subsequent lack of a memorial in the Batcave, despite previous Robins receiving one. The site's mission has since expanded to critiquing misogyny in comics, as well as racism and homophobia. At Girl-wonder.org, feminism isn't a dirty word!

At the Girl-wonder breakfast at The Field with Katie, Trina, Erica, Erica's pal, and Matt



Trina Robbins is the author of Go Girl!which has been a really fun read. I missed Trina's signing at Comic Con, but as luck would have it, she lives only a few blocks away from me in San Francisco. I swung by her place, picked up a signed copy, and chatted about cats, comics, and WisCon.



Go Girl! stars Lindsay Goldman, the high-flying daughter of Go-Go Girl, and her best friend Haseena Ross, girl detective. It's an all ages story that I highly recommend. It's great to see fiction about young women who spend more time kicking butt and solving crime than clamoring for the attention of boys!

1 comment:

veggie barbie girl said...

Hi. my mom is Tofu Mom and she said i could leave you a comment. i just wanted to tell you my mom has gotten that comic for me. i loved it. and told her to get me some more. i don't like most of the comics my mom gets but the go girl one was really cool. yea thanks