Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Bindaetteok

Bindaetteok (mung bean pancakes) is the closest thing Korean cuisine has to dosas. I've always wanted to make this, but whenever I've had kimchi, I didn't have mung beans, and vice versa. But with my recent trips to Woo Ri and Bombay Bazaar the stars were finally aligned!

My mom's version was a bit more complex than this, but I was still very happy with the results. The smell took me right back to my childhood, watching my mom work her magic in the kitchen.

Verdant's Bachelor Bindaetteok
1/2 cup mung beans, soaked overnight
1 large egg
1/4 cup cabbage kimchi
1/2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
1/4 tsp salt


Grind all the ingredients together, then fry like thin pancakes.

It's hearty enough to be a meal all by itself, but I paired it with kimbap. While the batter was frying, I wilted kale down on low heat.

Bindaetteok with Carrot & Kale Kim Bap

1 comment:

VnV said...

Thanks for the recipe. My husband and I had Seoul pancakes recently at a vegetarian restaurant in NY. Wonder if these are the same?