Thursday, June 07, 2007

Macro Maki

I don't follow a macrobiotic diet, but I do like its emphasis on whole grains and unrefined sugars. I'm also a big fan of Christina Pirello. Though I enjoy the more traditional white rice maki at restaurants, at home I almost always prepare it the macro way.

A
1 cup short-grain brown rice
2.5 cups of water

B
2 cups water
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 Tbsp sesame oil
8oz tempeh, quartered lengthwise

C
2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 heaping Tbsp brown rice syrup

4 Nori sheets
1 carrot, quartered lengthwise



Bring A to a boil, lower to a simmer, and cook for 45 min covered. Place B in a skillet and simmer for 45 minutes, flipping the tempeh over once at the halfway point.


Once A is done, add C, mix well and spread thinly over a plate to cool.


Remove the tempeh from the skillet, and reduce the liquid down to serve as a dipping sauce. Once rice has cooled, divide it into four portions. Spread rice on nori sheets with carrot piece and tempeh. Wet the side of the nori opposite you, and roll with a bamboo mat.


Cut with a wet serrated knife. Feel free to munch on the messy end pieces before serving :)!

2 comments:

xcentric said...

ooh...I'm intrigued. more details? I've never made sushi... would love to try

CookingDiva - Chef Melissa said...

Ohh---they look beautiful and delicious. You have inspired me to prepare sushi today :)