Sunday, June 10, 2007

Channa Masala

After reducing my pantry to the bare minimum, I swung by Bombay Bazaar to stock up on spices and dal.

I've recently gotten into the habit of buying canned tomatoes whenever I stop by Buffalo Whole Foods. Far too many times I've had everything required for a dish, *except* for tomatoes. Not anymore!

Here's a recipe heavy on the tomatoes: Channa Masala (chickpeas in spicy tomato gravy)

A
1 tsp hing
1 large onion, diced
4 Tbsp oil or ghee (I used olive oil - not traditional, but I like it)
1 Tbsp shredded ginger

B
3 Tbsp cumin seeds
2 Tbsp ground coriander
1 Tbsp anardana (dried pomegranate seeds)
1 tsp peppercorns
1 tsp fennel seeds

C
2 cups diced tomatoes
1 Tbsp turmeric
1 Tbsp cayenne

D
1lb dried chickpeas (about 2.25 cups), cooked
or four 15oz cans

Lightly sauté A. In the meantime, grind B into a fine powder. Once the onions are golden-brown, add B to A. Vigorously stir. The spices will stick to the pan. Don't worry.

After about 20-30 seconds on low heat, add C. The liquid will soften the spices stuck to the pan. Stir and cook for a minute or so.

Add D, mix well, salt to taste, and serve with rice. Instead of the customary garam masala, I topped this batch off with some dried fenugreek leaves.