Monday, February 12, 2007

$19.82, Blood Work

I got my blood work results back from the hospital and everything looks great. The last time I had my cholesterol checked it was at 118, after I had been a vegan for several years. After I reintroduced eggs and dairy into my diet, I worried a bit that my cholesterol might shoot up. 2 years later my fears have been put to rest with my latest cholesterol reading of 123 total cholesterol and 47 HDL.

The only items of concern were my hematocrit and hemoglobin levels, both indicators of anemia. Though I'm not anemic, I was on the low end of for both readings. I eat plenty of iron-rich foods, but as a vegetarian, it helps to have vitamin C with an iron-rich meal, as it aids the absorption of non-heme iron. I've been pretty lax about that combination for a while now, but now I've got a good reason to get through the box of grapefruit that's been sitting in the pantry since late December. Amazingly they're still fresh!

On the budget front, I cooked up a large batch of black beans from the pantry which should get me through the week for lunch. With the unexpected windfall from my tax return, I also purchased a $62.00 bamboo cutting board, but I'm not counting it toward the $100 challenge. I've gone a year without a proper cutting board. With all the cooking I've been doing, it was about time!

$1.25 - cheese roll (last one I'm having this month)

The $100 February Challenge

1 comment:

Sean said...

Holy crap. Now I know where all my cholesterol is coming from -- you've clearly been sending it my way.