Sunday, February 18, 2007

$11.63, Falafel

After last week's akara, I decided to stock the freezer with another deep-fried bean dish. This time around I chose falafel. There are tons of recipes online, but the more authentic ones feature uncooked beans. I've made falafel before with canned beans, and the taste and texture are noticeably different. Not bad per se, but the dry bean version is cheaper. As with many of my recipes, I like to spice things up just a bit. Feel free to improvise.

Verdant's Spicy Falafel

2 lbs dry chickpeas
1 bunch parsley
1 dozen garlic cloves (Add more if you like. I do!)
4-6 carrots (personal improvisation, totally optional)
3 Tbsp ground coriander
3 Tbsp ground cumin
3 Tbsp cayenne
1 Tbsp black pepper
4 tsp salt (feel free to adjust)
2 tsp baking soda (optional - if you prefer denser falafel, leave it out, which is what I did)
Oil for deep-frying



Soak the beans overnight in plenty of water. Grind all the ingredients together with enough water to make a very thick batter. You should be able to make little patties in the palm of your hand. Make a few patties in advance if you like, and heat oil to 350-375 degrees F. Oil is ready once a small piece of batter bobs immediately to the surface once dropped in. Fry until golden brown.



Drain on paper towels. Like akara, these freeze well.



Falafel



Chickpeas, carrots, garlic, & parsley - $4.95

The $100 February Challenge

8 comments:

Dean said...

I think this is the first of your recipes I'll attempt! So far I've just been inspired by the intense multi-ingredient cooking. This week I made veggie tacos (with fresh salsa and guacamole) for me and my wife which turned out pretty great. But I'm a huge falafel fan so I'm excited to try making them on my own. :)

Melissa said...

They look great! And you've got a point it is a lot cheaper than to use canned beans. Do not forget about the flavour, it is better the way you did it :)

xcentric said...

Yo Verdant,
I have been putting off doing deep frying cause I don't know what to do with the oil after I'm done. What do you do?

Xcentric

P.S. Are we allowed to use real names here or just our hero names?

Verdant said...

Darin,

Real names are fine ;). Strain the oil (after it has cooled down) with a coffee filter, then store in the fridge and reuse later. Depending on the oil, you can reuse it 1-3 times. Coconut oil is the "toughest" oil and can be reused up to three times. Other oils will degrade faster. The oil I used for the falafel was the same corn oil I used for the akara earlier in the blog.

xcentric said...

cool.. so how do you dispose of it? I've heard you shouldnt pour it down the drain. Do you just throw it in the trash after it cools?
I'm such a n00b!

Verdant said...

We all start somewhere! I had to ask the same thing before. Just put it in an empty jar and toss in the trash.

Twisted Cinderella said...

This looks wonderful! I am definitely going to give these a try!

Berrykat said...

I was wondering....what brand blender do you use? I need to buy one hopefully a cheap one and want to find a good one. Thanx :)