Monday, October 23, 2006

Chard and Sweet Potato Dal

I'm trying to get back into the habit of buying fresh greens several times a week. I tend to let green leafy vegetables rot in the fridge if I buy too much at once. Luckily, Buffalo Whole Foods (not to be confused with Whole Foods Market) is right on my way home from work.

Some people have asked how I can afford to buy from an organic grocery store all the time rather than a place like CALA. My diet (when I'm actually cooking) consists mostly of whole grains and legumes. They're so cheap anyway, that the organic alternative is pretty economical, too. Organic greens can be pricier, but honestly, organic greens taste a hell of a lot better. Plus, more expensive staples, like yogurt are actually *cheaper* at Buffalo ($3.99 for a quart at CALA vs $2.69 at Buffalo).

When you have the time, shopping this way is great. I wasn't too sure of what I wanted to eat until I stepped into the grocery store. I saw the chard and sweet potatoes, and they instantly called to me. I haven't had either for the longest time.



Using a basic moong dal recipe as a template, I came up with this dish. I took out the curry leaves, added the veggies, and used a 2:1:1 medley of moong, masoor, and urud dal.

No comments: