Saturday, July 29, 2006

Seitan Bulgogi

I attended a "Rough Trade" BBQ with my friend Dale from LA today. Rough Trade is the largest GLBT guild in World of Warcraft, the largest Multiplayer Online game in the world at 6 million subscribers. I don't even play World of Warcraft (I stuck with City of Heroes until I quit online gaming to focus on Pride High), but I have several friends that do. It was a lot of fun hanging out with fellow gaymers and and geeking out.

For food, I decided on seitan bulgogi (vegetarian Korean beef strips). It's pretty much what I bring to any bbq I go to.



A
1 box Arrowhead Mills Vital Wheat Gluten (The brand actually does matter, as different brands have different protein starch ratios, which affect how much water you need. I learned this the hard way.)
1/3 cup Nutritional Yeast Flakes (gives the seitan a rich, meaty taste and enriches the amino acid profile)
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp cayenne

B
2 cups water
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 Tbsp toasted sesame oil
6 cloves garlic, minced *
2 in x 2 in ginger slice, minced *

C
Enough water to fill a large pot halfway.
1/4 cup soy sauce

D (Optional Marinade)
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 Tbsp sesame oil

* Fresh ginger can go right along with garlic in a garlic press.



Mix A. Mix B. Slowly add B to A.



Knead the dough gently until it forms a rubbery mound. You may not need to use all the liguid depending on normal variation in each batch of vital wheat gluten (even in the same brand).



Place the uncooked gluten into C and simmer for an hour, turning it over once at 30 minutes. Remove and slice. Add D if you wish and marinate overnight prior to the BBQ.

5 comments:

Vegan Rapunzel said...

Hi there... just found your blog and love your recipes. I'm dying to see the pix for this page but they aren't coming up. Would you kindly fix the links so I can salivate over your meal? TX! (Btw this is also true of your quinoa page and also your Sabz Jalfrezi page... which I particularly curious to see what this looked like!)

Vegan Rapunzel said...

Never mind, it seems the server hosting your images is mercurial on its image delivery. A few page refreshes take care of the problem. (That is, hitting "F5" a few times.)

Me again said...

*sigh* except I went back to the Sabz Jalfrezi page and those stay as x'd out no matter. Darn!

Verdant said...

Thanks for stopping by Rapunzel!

When I started work on my comic book, I closed down my old website and transferred everything over to pridecomics.com. Though it's quite simple to just move everything over, it's a lot more time consuming to go back through my entire blog and link to the new folder housing all of my images.

One of these days I'll go through everything and fix the links, but between work, the comic book, and acting gigs, it's on the backburner.

Fairly Odd Tofu Mom said...

I am soooo trying this!! I love seitan!