Sunday, June 04, 2006

Anasazi Beans

I've been going over my budget recently. With the money I'm putting into the comic book, I really need to start saving more money each month. The biggest preventable loss of money comes from eating out.

So I raided my pantry and pulled out the Anasazi beans I purchased several months ago. I've never had them before, and bought them solely because of the interesting, mottled look. Here's a quick history of the Anasazi Bean.

I kept everything pretty basic and just boiled the pound of dry Anasazi beans with the customary onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder, and my personal additions of turmeric, cinnamon, and ginger powder. Indian cuisine has made me crave the taste of the last three spices in bean dishes. A side benefit is that those three spices are also thought to help the digestion of legumes.

Anasazi beans are quite pretty prior to soaking.


Here's how the beans look after soaking overnight. Soaking isn't necessary, but replacing the soak water prior to cooking helps cut bean gas.




2 comments:

Melissa CookingDiva said...

Verdant! how are you doing these days?---the beans look delicious. In Panama they are always in the menu in one way or another :)
Have a great week!
M
BTW, good luck @ your new server!

Verdant said...

Hey Melissa!

I'm doing well, though I haven't been cooking so much lately. Busy, busy, busy. I'm usually not a fan of cold, left-over beans, but the Anasazi beans were actually rather good right out of the fridge.