Sunday, March 19, 2006

Smack My Thoughts Up

I just saw the video for the song "Smack My Bitch Up." Despite the lyrics, I sat down to watch. The video is shot in first person throughout. You see a guy as he makes his way through a night of total debauchery. He feels up any woman in reach, gets into brawls with guys left and right, and drinks like a fish. Usually I'm not one for videos like this. But the camera angles and shots are really well done, and the kinetic beats of the song totally pull you in. At the end of the night, he takes a woman home, gets wild, and then he finally rears up in front of a mirror. And that's when you realize that this entire time it was a woman!

In retrospect, you can see little clues here and there. But for the most part, it's interesting how easy assumptions are made. I never even thought to question the gender of the misogynist.

No comments: