Monday, December 19, 2005

Dal Makhani

I finally got around to making Dal Makhani. It's a slight departure from the simpler, vegan dal dishes I usually prepare like Masoor Dal and Channa Dal due to the use of three different pulses and the addition of butter and cream.


I went for a month without a gas stove (long story). I'm so glad to have it back!


It was hard not to eat the masala gravy before adding it to the dal.


Even when mixed, the urud, chana, and kidney beans kept their distinct flavors.


Topped with cream, this was an incredibly rich dal that was perfect for a cold winter's day.

4 comments:

Indira said...

Verdant, your site is so cool and informative, I don't know how I missed it and beautiful photos too.
Thanks for your comments on my blog. Really appreciate it.

sailu said...

First time commenting here,Verdant.Really appreciate your love for Indian food and having a special place in your heart for Indian food.I must say I am impressed with your cooking skills in Indian Cuisine.Keep it up!

Melissa CookingDiva said...

Your dishes look so delicious! Thank you for sharing them with us :) We are lucky to have in Panama city, few excellent Asian Markets. I probably go there once a week. I feel like a child in a candy store!
Hope you have time to share with Us your new years dinner photos/and/or recipes, did you see the post on that event?
Also wanted to thank you for adding a link to my blog. I´ll do the same.
Hugs & Happy New Year from Panama :)

Anonymous said...

Hi , your dishes look amazing ,plzzz give me the recipe for dal makhani , my id is msue_06@yahoo.co.in ,thanks.