Sunday, September 04, 2005

Maquechoux

Creole and Cajun cuisines are often found in the same restaurants, and before I went to New Orleans, I only had a vague idea of the distinction. Chuck of the Gumbo Pages explains the basics here.

Since I had a Creole dish on Thursday, I chose a Cajun one today. After a single recipe, I've become a big fan of the Gumbo Pages, so I went there again for dinner inspiration. The recipe for Maquechoux (pronounced "mock shoe") caught my eye, as it was unlike any corn dish I've prepared before.



I have a big plastic tub that I wash all my veggies in. I prefer to dunk and swish veggies in a lot of water, instead of constantly running the tap.


I'll be honest. Despite the recipe calling for corn cobs, I fully planned on using frozen corn kernels. However, the freezer was being cleaned out at the natural food store across street, so I had to use the corn cobs. But in retrospect, I'm glad. Fresh corn definitely tastes better than frozen or canned.


I used to be a regular at the "Nightmare on Oak Street" vegan potlucks (more on that at a later date). But having to wake up at 5am on weekdays made 7:30pm on Sundays a bit difficult to attend. Yay for Labor Day! I veganized the original maquechoux recipe by using Earth Balance non-hydrogenated margarine and boiled down soymilk instead of butter and condensed milk.


Another change I made to the original recipe was the addition of lacinato kale. I had tons in the fridge and I hate good greens going to waste.


Maquechoux


Related entries:
Creole Red Beans and Rice

No comments: