Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Chinese Gold Farmers

I like Massive Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Games (MMORPGs). Probably too much ("most definitely" my ex, Doug, would say). The game I play currently is City of Heroes, though many of my friends (local and virtual) play World of Warcraft. I've become a bit of a groupie on a World of Warcraft board dedicated to gay gamers (gaymers), especially since it has a lot more activity. Just to give you an idea, City of Heroes has about 150,000 total subscribers, while World of Warcraft is the largest online game in the world with over 3.5 million.

A friend of mine on the WoW board mentioned the term "Chinese Gold Farmer" the other day. I thought the term had something to do with the Chinese laborers in California during the Gold Rush. A quick online search revealed something very different and a little frightening. It refers to workers who play online games nonstop (several players on one account for 24/7 coverage) to "farm" gold and then sell it for real world cash.

MMORPG Sweatshops

No comments: