Monday, September 20, 2004

Mixed Vegetable Pakoras

Pakoras are one of India's most common snack foods. They're fried munchies similar to Japanese tempura, but made with chickpea flour instead of wheat. And though pakoras are deep-fried, they shouldn't be relegated to the status of junkfood. One of the most common types, mixed veggie pakoras, is nutrient-dense. With vitamins A and C from the veggies (I chose red bell peppers, sweet potato, and onion), and plenty of protein, iron, and fiber from the chickpea flour, pakoras are far and away superior to other fried foods like french fries.

For the spices I chose cumin, coriander, black pepper, and pomegranate seed. Ever since I bought them, I've been putting pomegranate seed in everything. They've got a wonderful sweet and tart flavor that blends well with the flavor of many vegetables.


Frying them up!


Hot and crispy, just the way I like them. Pakoras aren't a main dish by any stretch in traditional Indian cuisine, and I generally pair them with a dal. But I was craving pakoras and only pakoras tonight. Oh, and the red stuff looks like ketchup, because it is! When I don't have a proper chutney on hand, I find that ketchup is a great alternative.

No comments: