Thursday, September 16, 2004

Methi Channa Dal with Haldi Chaval

With all of the vegetarian options available in this city, it is way too easy to eat out. But the past couple of days I've fired the kitchen back up. And I've gotten back to my passion of Indian cooking. This whole week has been different Indian dal dishes. Tonight was Methi Channa Dal, or split chickpeas with fenugreek leaves.


Mustard seeds and black sesame seeds for the spice sauté aka "tarka." To the left are the dried fenugreek leaves.


Spices to be ground into a dry masala for the secondary tarka (added when the whole mustard seeds begin to pop). Center then Counter-Clockwise from the top: Copra (dried coconut), Ground Cumin, Anardana (dried pomegranate seeds), Peppercorns


I was skeptical on how well a rice cooker would handle basmati rice, especially spiced basmati rice with frozen veggies added in. I decided to experiment with haldi chaval (turmeric rice).


It turned out well!



No comments: