Friday, August 06, 2004

Seitan Teriyaki

I totally had a teriyaki craving for lunch today. In the skillet is a mixture of cooking wine, soy sauce, sugar, garlic, and ginger peel. On the left is some vital wheat gluten that will soon become seitan (say-tahn).


Arrowhead Mills Vital Wheat Gluten has a recipe for seitan on the back, though it's a bit off and adds about 1/2 cup too much water. I learned this the hard way a while back. Jo Stepaniak's recipe in "Vegan Vittles" is a lot more precise. The one change I made to her tried and true formula was toasted sesame oil instead of olive oil for the wet mix. To the left is the mixed seitan before boiling in broth, and to the right is the finished product. Technically seitan is only seitan after it has been boiled. Prior to this step, it's called "kofu." But this distinction isn't a big deal, and I think only Japanese monks hold to this nowadays. I've made seitan before using the traditional waterwash method from wholewheat flour. But it is a laborious process, and I had neither the time nor inclination for that today.


The liquid has simmered down to about 1/4 of its original volume, and is now teriyaki sauce.


Mmmm... teriyaki...

2 comments:

Wayne said...

................Wish I can cook...... Looks delicious :)

(Wayne, aka Scyllas from CoH)

shannon said...

can you please post an exact recipe for this? it looks delicious!