Tuesday, May 04, 2004

Polenta Pesto Pizza

All the talk about polenta had me craving the stuff, so I pulled out "The Essential Vegetarian Cookbook" which had plenty of recipes for it. It's not a vegan cookbook by any means, but I'm pretty used to veganizing recipes. Other than the standard vegan stand-ins, I also made some substitutions with the pesto, as pine nuts are a bit too pricey for me. I generally replace the pine nuts with walnuts, but I decided to try a 3:1 mix of toasted almonds and cashews. I think I've found a new favorite pesto mix :).

Cooking the polenta and toasting the almonds. Cashews are always pre-roasted to deactivate a volatile resin. There's no such thing as raw cashews, despite what some labels might say.

Spreading the pesto over the polenta before topping with the broccoli, zucchini, and onions. The polenta has already been baked for 15 min to help it crust before the final baking.

The serious garlic breath was worth it.

No comments: