Sunday, May 23, 2004

Jamaican Jerk Plantains and Black Beans with Yuca

I am no stranger to hot peppers. I was raised on kimchi, afterall. The hotter the better, I say... usually. But this afternoon I finally met my match in the tiny peppers known as Scotch Bonnets. I actually had to take a break from eating the plantains and scrape off extra jerk sauce. Still, I am crazy about the taste of Jamaican Jerk, so I braved the heat and finished the meal.

For baking I prefer plantains with this amount of mottling. When they get black, they're supersweet and taste much more like bananas. To the left of the beans is kneaded sunflower bread dough.

Peeled yuca

I'm really into sea vegetables. Cutting kombu for boiling beans is one of my favorite ways of including them in my diet. To the right are the plantain slices slathered (a little too generously!) with jerk sauce (scallions, scotch bonnet peppers, allspice, thyme, vinegar).

The tongue-blistering meal

No comments: