Wednesday, May 26, 2004

Crispy Vegetarian Eel and Tempeh with Kale in Garlic Sauce

One cookbook I thumb through a lot but rarely use is a bilingual Chinese cookbook named simply "Vegetarian Cooking." It has many of the popular faux meat dishes featured at vegetarian Chinese restaurants. I don't use it nearly as much as my Indian cookbooks, but it's great for a change every now and then. One of the entrees that caught my eye was "Crispy Eel." It wasn't the name that got me, but rather the fact that it was made from shiitake, one of my fave mushrooms.

Cutting the shiitake in spirals that were soaked since this morning

Searing the tempeh in the wok first, then stir-frying the garlic and kale separately

Deep-frying the "eels."

After about an hour, here's the finished meal along with brown rice.

No comments: