Monday, May 03, 2004

Chickpea Lasagna

After the arugula substitution of the last night, I was in an experimental mood for today's lasagna. I pulled out Jo's Uncheese Cookbook for the Betta Feta recipe. But I decided to use mashed chickpeas instead of the requisite tofu. It turned out pretty well. It was less like feta and more like hummus, but very tasty. For the tomato sauce, I tried WendyG's recommendation of Barilla pasta sauce. Yeah, it was quite good! I wanted to use whole wheat lasagna noodles, but I couldn't find a brand with a no-boil recipe on the back. Thus, I stuck with regular lasagna noodles, but this time I am saving that recipe. I've never boiled noodles for lasagna, and I am not about to start :)!

Grinding my own tahini from unhulled sesame seeds. 1/4 cup of unhulled sesame seeds has a whopping 350-400mg of calcium (35%-40% of the USRDA). Hulled sesame seeds, which most commercial brands of tahini are made of, only have around 20-40mg for the same quantity.

Sautéing onions and caraway seeds in olive oil for the veggie mix

Stacking the layers, then weighing it all down for the oven

The finished lasagna along with whole wheat garlic bread and salad

No comments: